What are your New Year Resolutions? It seems to be so easy to make resolutions but even easier to abandon them as the year passes by. My main goal for the year is to stay motivated to complete all of my resolutions for the year. I plan to do that by giving you a monthly update as to my progress on these goals below. Ultimate accountability! I would ask that you help me by keeping me accountable. You can do that by actively participating in the comments section of each “Resolution Tracker” update post. Thank you and I hope each and everyone of you have a wonderful and prosperous debt free 2010!!
Reflections In 2009
- Led Financial Peace University #2 at my church.
- Mentioned on Cnn.com! (Walking Away From Credit Cards – by Jim Cavanaugh)
- Went from 41 subscribers in May to just over 400 in December!
- Celebrated 5 year anniversary with my beautiful wife!
- Started writing for the Self Reliance Exchange.
- Public Speaking appearance at Sweet Briar College!
- Became DEBT FREE baby!
- Bradley Isaac saved, spent, and gave for the first time!
- Joseph Noah was born!!
- Joined Extraordinary Life Network.
- Guest lectured to The Psychology of Money and Wealth class at local community college.
- Agreed to lecture at future classes as a paid guest. (Woo hoo!)
2010 New Year Resolutions
Looking for accountability for at least 8 weeks of the new year? If you are a subscriber to Enemy of Debt, I am willing to GIVE YOU $100 for going over to Engaged Marriage and signing up to complete his 8 week challenge. You only have until January 5th to sign up. Right now the chances of winning $100 are 1 in 5!! What the heck are you waiting for?? You MUST be a subscriber to Enemy of Debt to be eligible! (Follow the directions in the link provided above.)
- Save $13,500 to complete our emergency fund of $15k! (Finish Baby step 3)
- Fund $500 for the wife to replenish her much needed wardrobe. (She sacrificed big-time while we were paying off debt!)
- Pave the way for aggressive retirement funding. (Goal – To start doing this by at least December of 2010.)
- Open an ESA (Education Savings Account) for Isaac. (Have money put aside already, one of his Christmas gifts was to do this. Now I actually have to open it. My dad will also be contributing to this fund, when I stop procrastinating.)
- Save $400 to help my daughter with the cost of her school trip to Europe in the summer.
- Stay on top of my sinking funds and fund them accordingly.
- Limit eating out to only twice a month for budgeting purposes. (got out of hand in 2009)
- Continue to give every dollar a name before the month begins. (fell short a couple of times in 2009.)
- Increase income significantly!
Health/Fitness (Have you checked out Improve Yourself! 2010? I have! Dustin has come up with a great way to build community, provide accountability, and motivate us all to improve something in our lives. There are prizes, and it is absolutely FREE to join. Go check it out.)
Here are my fitness goals for 2010, and what I will be focusing on for Improve Yourself! 2010.
- Limit eating out to only twice a month max. (also a financial goal)
- Get back on the Weight Watchers point system.
- Commit to at least 2 hours of exercise per week. (4 days)
- Complete the Improve Yourself! 2010 Challenge.
- Reach my weight loss goal before years end.
- Improve my time management skills.
- Better organize my daily, weekly, and monthly tasks.
- Learn to Eat That Frog! (stop procrastinating as much)
- Try and be more patient when behind the wheel.
- Listen to 12 personal development audio books. (study one a month)
- Attend a marriage retreat with my beautiful wife.
- Surprise my wife by taking her to at least one play.
- Work harder to make my wife feel as important as she is.
- Work harder to be a better listener.
- Set up a regular date night at least once a month.
- Complete the Love Dare.
- Continue to teach my 3 year old about the importance of saving, spending, and giving.
- Take advantage of any and all teachable moments that may present themselves.
- Go out of my way to find the good my kids do and praise them heavily for it.
- Strive to be the example that my children will undoubtedly follow.
- Even though I will be busier in 2010 than 2009, continue to make time for doing special activities.
- Lead my family and be the example I should be.
- Make time in the morning to read my Bible daily.
- Give more to our church now that we are debt free.
- Coordinate Financial Peace University #3.
- Sign up for two Bible Study groups.
- Continue as a volunteer, coaching people financially for my church’s Mercy Ministries Team.
- Complete 6 classes debt free.
- Read at least 12 non-fiction books. (one a month)
- Start saving to become certified as a financial counselor and an ELP through Dave Ramsey.
- Work on comprehensive business plan for EOD Financial Coaching.
- Grow my Logos4You side business.
Enemy of Debt
- Engage subscribers more actively.
- Reach 2000 subscribers.
- Reorganize and update the “New To EOD” page. (Any ideas?)
- Become a household name amongst people wanting to get out of debt.
- Build an active and supportive EOD community. (currently taking notes from Dustin at Engaged Marriage)
- Publish EOD Deluxe Budget 3.0
Series To Expect In 2010 On Enemy of Debt
- The Great Credit Card Debate (I am SUPER excited about this one and already have people lined up to participate.)
- Christmas Stimulus 2010 (gonna require quarterly participation from readers to be eligible to win $300 in December)
- “I’ve Become Debt Free” Questionnaire Series
- Take Action Series (monthly but possibly bi-weekly)
- Net Worth Series (Budgets Are Sexy is the man in this area, I will be following his lead!)
- 2010 Resolution Tracker Series. (monthly)
Next resolution post update will list the milestones that I will have for each month of the year! These milestones will provide me with some quick wins along the way to keep me motivated. Just like with the debt snowball, I believe the motivation received from accomplishing a goal or paying off a debt is priceless and essential to success.
What are your financial resolutions? milestones? Get a plan!