News flash, we are all super stressed out.
Okay, not a news flash. It’s actually pretty well documented just how stressed out most of us are these days.
There happens to be a ton of advice on how to combat this stress.
The advice is pretty standard and goes a like this: Work out more, eat less, use your vacation days to find a hobby while you are slowing down to enjoy the view and find any and all means to chillax.
Although sound advice, the reality is it just feels a little like one more thing to add to our ever growing to-do lists. “#11 – Figure out how to stop stressing out.”
So what is the average person to do?
I have always specialized in deviating from the norm. I have never been a fan of anything considered normal or conventional.
Outwardly I look like a pretty average working Mom, but inside I am just bursting with weird.
I have found that you can ditch stress and increase your average intake of fun by simply shaking up your routine.
Don’t you remember how awesome it was as a kid when your parents would do something out of the ordinary?
Maybe they let you stay up late on a school night or perhaps you had ice cream for dinner. There was something magical about breaking from the routine…and that remains my go to activity for managing stress today.
There is something oddly comforting and empowering about tweaking the average into the unusual.
So here are 5 ways I like to shake things up:
- Take the long way home – It may sound counterproductive, but choosing to take the scenic route, whether on your way to or from work can feel incredibly refreshing. You are no longer a victim of traffic; you have chosen to enjoy the scenery.
- Pillow forts make watching TV a grander event – Talk about fun for the whole family! Transform your family room and enjoy an evening among the pillows, blankets and laughter.
- Bake something – You don’t need to scratch bake, just buy a roll of cookies at the store and toss them in. The effect will be the same for you and your family. It is impossible to be grumpy or stressed out in a house that smells like fresh baked cookies.
- Make any night game night! – Ditch the TV and video games and play Monopoly as a family…extra points if you do this while eating dinner.
- Embrace tardiness – If you are like most parents you wish you had more ‘moments’ with your kids. Stop waiting for those to happen and make them happen. Make pancakes and eat at the table instead of rushing everyone out the door in the morning. Stop for donuts. Being late once in a while will not be the end of their worlds or yours.
Please note that these work for me, but may not work for you.
I encourage you to explore ways to step outside the box with your own family.
Feel free to share your own weird ways with me below in the comments!