Another Valentine’s Day has come and gone. Vonnie and I agreed not to get all caught up in the usual flowers, stuffed animals and sentimental cards. Maybe when we’re out of debt we will re-instate a small Valentine’s Day gift exchange, but for now we just don’t think it is the wisest use of our money. Here’s what I did do for her:
Made her breakfast: School day mornings are crazy busy. I busted ass to get all the usual stuff done in order to make her and the kids a great breakfast, including heart shaped pancakes. We already had everything I needed except pancake mix. Out of pocket expense: $1.64.
A little love note: I packed a lunch for her (as I always do), and I included a little note that said simply, “Happy Heart Day. I Heart You. Love, Travis.” Out of pocket expense: FREE.
Made her dinner: I grilled ribeye steaks, made baked potatoes and vegetables. We also cracked open a bottle of sparkling wine, and had homemade apple crisp for dessert. All I needed to pick up were the steaks and some potatoes. Out of pocket expense: $14.77
We enjoyed great food, and a Thursday evening spending time with each other. At the end of the day, that’s all that really matters.
After a very enjoyable Valentine’s Day, it only feels appropriate to send love out to some fellow bloggers. I enjoy reading many blogs, but the ones I love the most are those that simply inspire me to keep going. To try to do better. To try to BE better. My favorite posts this week fit that description perfectly.
Posts That Make Me Fist Pump:
- How Having a Budget Brings Peace to Our Marriage from Money Saving Mom
- Wants and Needs from So Over This
- The Road to Debt Free: Not for the Faint of Heart from The Frugal Farmer
- 2 Simple Steps to Start Your First Budget from Blonde On a Budget
Shameless Self Promotion:
- Gradually Improving Our Finances Over Morning Coffee found in the CareOne Community
Kick Ass Giveaways:
- Happy Valentines Day – links to a $500 and a $999.99 giveaway at LBee And The Money Tree
- Grab This Valentine’s Date Package For One from Take Our Stuff
What did you do for Valentine’s Day this year?