While hanging out with some family in town for a visit, we decided to order pizza. The outcome of the, “Where should we order it from,” discussion was, “whatever is least expensive.” I threw my predispositions aside and compared three major pizza delivery chains using three simple ordering scenarios.
Countless combinations of pizza options exist, and pizza delivery chains are almost continuously running specials. This makes a complete analysis impossible. For the purpose of this exercise, I’ll keep the scenarios very simple.
First, here are the base parameters of my comparison:
- Ignore any specials or promotions
- Compare three major pizza delivery chains, Godfather’s, Domino’s, and Pizza Hut
- Price is just the pizza price, not including tax or delivery fees
- Prices are quoted in my locality, Rochester, MN. Prices may vary by location.
- Assume the size of medium and large pizzas are equal between all 3 chains. I was able to find data stating a medium is 12 inches in diameter and a large is 14 inches in diameter for both Pizza Hut and Domino’s. However, I was unable to verify this for Godfather’s
- Taste is subjective. This comparison is for the cost only.
Second, here are the three common scenarios to be compared:
- Large one topping pizza with a middle of the road crust
- Large specialty pizza
- Two medium one topping pizzas
Scenario #1: Large One Topping Pizza
The most basic scenario is a large one topping pizza. This order would be a common late night order for a small group of high school or college kids or a small family.
- Pizza Hut : $15.49
- Domino’s: $10.00
- Godfather’s: $15.64
Scenario #2: Large Specialty Pizza
For those that like a little extra on their pizza I included a specialty pizza scenario, sometimes referred to as “garbage pizza.”
- Pizza Hut: $18.49
- Domino’s: $17.99
- Godfather’s: $21.19
Scenario #3: Two Medium One Topping Pizzas
The final scenario is two medium, one topping pizzas. Perfect for a little larger group of people, or for a group that want a variety of pizza types.
- Pizza Hut: $26.98
- Domino’s: $16.99
- Godfather’s: $26.46
Godfather’s the most expensive for two of the scenarios, although it is very close in price to Pizza Hut. Domino’s is the last expensive in all three scenarios, and is significantly less expensive for a large one topping pizza, as well as the two medium scenario.
When ordering pizza, it’s always a good idea to check current promotions to get the best deal possible. However, this simple price comparison may give you the info you need to get the most reasonably priced pizza when promotions don’t fit your desired order.